Earlier today, BLACKPINK released their 1st full album titled THE ALBUM. There are eight songs on this record, including the title track “Lovesick Girls”
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Official MV/Title Track:
- Their pre-release single – “Ice Cream” wasn’t exactly my cup of tea.
- I have my fingers crossed for “Lovesick Girls” or any other track on the album to completely blow me away.
- Already, the visuals for this music video are stunning.
- They all seem to be in some sort of toxic relationship and are fully aware of the dangers. The girls want to break away from the poisonous circle but are not strong enough to do so yet?
- That’s the message I’m getting from the MV.
- So far, this song isn’t doing much for me but let’s continue.
- Jisoo seems to be the only one not in a relationship, while Lisa, Rose and Jennie are stuck with the wrong men.
- The bridge section with Rose and Jisoo is the only part of this song that I love. That melody when Rose starts singing – “love is slippin’ and fallin’, love is killin’ your darlin’…” is quite catchy.
- My issue is that although this song has a retro sound, it’s still too pop-ish. I have a love/hate relationship with the classic pop sound.
- I’m going to listen to “Lovesick Girls” again without the video and see how I feel.
- After my second listen, I think “Lovesick Girls” isn’t my cup of tea.
- However, I love the bridge section. The vocals/rap are beautiful as expected from the ladies of BLACKPINK.
Here is the album preview –
- How You Like That –I listened to this song once it dropped, but I’m still going to give some thoughts on here. I absolutely love the instrumental build-up, and vocal progression on this track + the chorus is very catchy. When I first heard “How You Like That”, I wasn’t into it, but it stuck after a few replays. I think it’s a great dance song that I wouldn’t mind going back to once in a while.
- Ice Cream (Selena Gomez) –Still a no for me. In my review for “Ice Cream”, I mentioned that only one section of the song stands out. If you would like to know what I’m speaking on, read my review 👉🏼 BLACKPINK & Selena Gomez – Ice Cream: Music Review.
- Pretty Savage – Interesting start and melody + the trap beat 🔥🔥🔥. Now, this is more up my alley. FINALLY!!! a song that I love right off the bat. “Pretty Savage” is a BOP. The chorus is groovy with those sultry vocals in the background. The girls sound beautiful and powerful. The whistling at the end is a perfect touch. I LOVE THIS SONG!!! It calls for body rolls.
- Bet You Wanna (feat. Cardi B) – I’m listening to the enhanced album on Spotify, and I just saw a note that this song has the same producers as “Ice Cream”. I don’t know how to feel about that. Already, I’m getting a similar vibe, but this sounds way better. I love the deep drumbeats, + the chorus has a lovely melody. The background vocals are top-notch, and Cardi fits nicely into the song. Right now, I’m 90/10 on “Bet You Wanna”, but I will be sold entirely after my second listen because this is a well-produced track.
- Lovesick Girls – This marks my third listen, so let’s see if my opinion changes. I love the melody on the verses/rap/bridge sections, but the chorus ain’t for me. Kudos to Jennie and Jisoo for taking part in the writing of “Lovesick Girls”
- Crazy Over You – The intro does give the oriental feel they mentioned in the notes + the hip-hop beat that comes after is perfect. I also hear some Arabic influences. Lisa’s rap on this track is so good. Jisoo’s vocal tone always stands out to me in all of BLACKPINK’s songs. She has a rich tone. Wait, I wasn’t expecting a low tempo chorus drop, but I love it. I thought it was going to be a massive drop. “Crazy Over You” has a lot of surprises, and I am enjoying the production choices on this song.
- Love To Hate Me – Jennie is always a good starter for BLACKPINK’s songs. She has a way of making her voice sound different and very befitting for each track. The way “Love To Hate Me” started, I thought I wouldn’t be the biggest fan, but the pre-chorus stole my heart. The instrumental is a bop + a nice message. Anybody who is always hostile towards you isn’t worth your time or effort. So throw their drama and attitude into the galaxy and live your best life. This song is perfect.
- You Never Know – Looks like we are getting a soft song to close off the album. Rose sounds like a breath of fresh air. Excellent progression. I love how that it doesn’t stay on one tempo throughout. The switch-up is a perfect way to keep listeners intrigued. “You Never Know” is a beautiful song that I see myself coming back to every now and then. Rose nailed this song because, wow, she sounds lovely.
Honestly, I was a bit scared after hearing the title track, but thankfully, the B-sides saved the day. My favourite song on this record is definitely “Pretty Savage”. I also enjoyed listening to “How You Like That” – “Bet You Wanna” – “Crazy Over You” – “Love To Hate Me” & “You Never Know”
Six out of eight songs is an excellent ratio, in my opinion. The girls worked hard on this, and I am glad that they finally have a full album on their discography. With all that said, my rating for THE ALBUM by BLACKPINK is an 8.5/10.