On April 19th, DAY6 released their 7th mini-album, The Book of Us: Negentropy- Chaos swallowed up in love. This album is the fourth and final chapter of The Book of Us series. The record has seven songs, including the title track – “You make Me”
(Please note – this is a real-time review. Meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to “You make Me” Official MV:
- Right off the bat, I love the cinematography for this music video. The colouring + scenery is beautiful.
- As expected from DAY6, the vocals and instrumentalization are on point. I could never get bored when listening to them sing, especially Wonpil’s soft voice that stays piercing my heart. Also, Dowoon’s drum sections for this song are incredible.
- They all look amazing, but that hair colour and length on Jae is serving big time.
- I love how they switched up the chord progression and melody for the bridge. That brought in some new and exciting elements to the song.
- I think “You make Me” will make for a good racing song. Is it my favourite title track from DAY6? No, but taking it just as a song from them, I LOVE IT.
- everyday we fight – I’m getting slight disco vibes from this song, and I love that for me. Once again, the vocals and instrumentalization are top-notch. I love the melody and harmonization for the chorus; it’s so beautiful😍. Dowoon’s drum sections get better and better with each comeback; the man stays serving👏🏼. Also, the guitar sections on this track are exquisite.
- You make Me – Listening to the audio, I can appreciate the vocals more. They all sound amazing, and 100% this song is a vibe. I already added it to my playlist.
- Healer – This one has a very intriguing intro and instrumental in general. I love that it’s groovy, and I’m also enjoying the unconventional melody + the sing-along chorus. The production for this song is sweet.
- Only – The intro for this song is captivating and quite R&B-ish. The vocals and melody are so beautiful. I’m in awe of their voices right now, and I almost thought my baby Dowoon got some lines at the 1:15 mark. However, after confirming on YouTube, it’s Young K singing, and he sounds fantastic in that section. “Only” is a lovely song.
- above the clouds – I am slowly noticing that this album uses several sounds from nature. I love the serenity that brings into the record. The instrumental of “above the clouds” ignited a delightful but heavy feeling in me, so I went ahead to check out the lyrics. This song is about wishing for the soul of a dearly departed to rest on above the clouds while reminiscing the happy moments you once had with them. My feelings were so on point. Overall, I truly enjoyed the guitar sections on “above the clouds”, and it’s a brilliant song.
- ONE – I love the rhythm of this song, and the production quality is on point. DAY6 always serves the best albums. So far, every track showcased distinct elements and had different vibes, but the entire record still sounds cohesive. It’s simply a well-thought-out body of work.
- so let’s love – A perfect slow song to close things, and the vocal delivery on this one is beautiful. I love the chill vibe of “so let’s love”. It’s something I could listen to every day.
My favourites from this album in no particular order are – “everyday we fight”, “You make Me”, “Only”, “above the clouds”, and “so let’s love”.
The song that left a lasting impression on me due to the lyrics is “above the clouds”. I read that Jae wrote it for a friend that passed away. It’s such a heartfelt and comforting song.
As mentioned earlier, DAY6 always has the best albums. In my opinion, this 7th mini-album, The Book of Us: Negentropy- Chaos swallowed up in love, is an excellent and well-thought-out body of work. All seven songs served what they were supposed to give, + the superb production quality. Let’s not even discuss vocals and instrumentalization because they always come correct in that department. With all that said, this record gets a solid 10/10 from me.