On April 30th, ITZY released their 4th mini-album, GUESS WHO. This EP has six songs, including the title track – “In the morning”, so here’s my review.
(Please note – this is a real-time review. Meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/Official MV:
- Right off the bat, I love the music video’s visuals, + the editing style makes it fun to watch. I also like the haunting vibe of this song, and their choreography is on point.
- The girls all look gorgeous. I love their make-up and outfits, and my favourite looks are the black and white outfits.
- “In the morning” is a fresh sound for ITZY, and they are selling it well enough. I truly enjoyed listening to this song. Every section made sense, and there was no part of the song that felt too odd or out of place.
- On that note, if there’s anything new I discover on my second listen, I’ll share it during the album review.
- In the morning – Listening to this track with headphones makes a big difference. You get to feel all the bass and hear the soft vocal echoes in the background. I still stand on the fact that I like this song. It might not be something I reach out for often, but it’s a great dance track.
- Sorry Not Sorry – I love the guitar intro on this track, + the melody and vocals are beautiful. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting so much intensity. I assumed it would remain in the mid-tempo range due to how it started, but the chorus came in so hard with the drumbeats!!! I love the instrumental and production for “Sorry Not Sorry”. I enjoyed this song more than “In the morning”.
- KIDDING ME – This song is right up my alley. It has such a groovy melody, and the instrumental progression during the chorus makes me want to body roll😂. I think I’ve found my favourite on this album. Also, I love what the girls are doing vocally. Their producers did an excellent job at placing their voices to fit each song’s style while still showcasing each lady’s strength.
- Wild Wild West – I love the Spanish-influenced guitar intro. However, I didn’t enjoy “Wild Wild West”. It started great, but the following-up melody was not captivating enough for me. I couldn’t get into the vibe until the last few seconds, so it’s a no for me.
- SHOOT! – From how “SHOOT!” started, I knew it would be another favourite of mine. It’s has a smooth and sensual vibe which I love for me! It’s also serving some R&B goodness. If you haven’t noticed already, I have an addiction to anything with an R&B-ish feel because those are the type of songs I naturally gravitate towards daily.
- TENNIS (0:0) – This seems to be the softest and slowest song on the album. I’m still 50/50 on “TENNIS (0:0)”, but I love the vocal quality during the pre-chorus section. Maybe it’s just that particular section I enjoy, and the remaining parts of this song are not doing much for me.
Alright, in comparison to their previous record – Not Shy, I believe GUESS WHO is a more cohesive album. The vocal quality and overall production on all six songs are fantastic. For a relatively new group, ITZY is doing a fabulous job, but I also think they’re still in the process of establishing their distinct sound. I ended up adding four tracks to my playlist but “KIDDING ME” and “SHOOT!” are my favourites. With all that said, my rating for ITZY‘s 4th mini-album, GUESS WHO is 8.5/10.