It’s been exactly 23 days since my last post. I had to take time off to sort out some essential things, and I also needed quality ‘me time.’ I feel a lot better now, and I am so pumped because Taeyeon is back + tomorrow is my birthday!!!! Yaayyy me!!!🎉🎉🎉. I love this early birthday gift. Honestly, 2020 has been a lot, hence why I am super grateful to have reached this point of the year.
Enough about me, let’s get into TAEYEON’S new release. What Do I Call You is her 4th mini-album. This record has five songs, including the title track of the same name.
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/MV:
- I can never get over how pretty Taeyeon is. How can she be so gorgeous and talented?
- I didn’t watch any of the teasers, so I wasn’t expecting an upbeat sound.
- The instrumental is beautiful. I love how well the guitar pairs with the bass beat +Taeyeon’s perfect vocals.
- The music video’s visuals are so crispy clear with a hint of earthy tones—effortless but stunning aesthetics.
- This song is about figuring out how to relate to an ex-lover because that person can’t exactly be called a stranger after spending together. At the same time, an ex cannot always become a friend after the breakup, which means they’re just someone you know?
- I adore this song’s progression, most significantly, the way the beat deepened during the chorus.
- Wow, smooth backing vocals!!! In general, Taeyeon’s sounds so captivating in this song.
- The bridge is the standout point of this song for me. The way Taeyeon’s voice scaled throughout that section is pure bliss.
- I LOVE “What Do I Call You” It’s catchy and beautiful as expected from TAEYEON. Trust that I will be replaying it for a long time.
- What Do I Call You – I already added this to my playlist. It’s such a groovy song even though it’s about a sad topic.
- Playlist – Exciting intro. I also got a similar vintage-jazzy vibe from the title track, but it was quite subtle. I enjoy this style of music, and Taeyeon is pulling it off so well. “Playlist” is the perfect mid-tempo dance song. The instrumentalization/production on this track is excellent, + the smooth top-notch vocals add an extra touch of perfection. I love everything about this song.
- To the moon – Ooo, another captivating entry + the vocal quality is serving already. This song is a bop and a half!!! I am over here, body rolling💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼. YESSSS!!!! TAEYEON. She did not come to play with anyone on this track. I have nothing more to say than “To the moon” is THAT SONG!!
- Wildfire – Not to come off repetitive, but I adore how catchy the intros are for each track. In my opinion, the first few seconds can make or mar a song because not everyone has a long attention span. Getting any listener’s interest in the first few seconds is crucial, and Taeyeon has been doing that for me on this album. “Wildfire” has an odd, quirky, but intriguing sound + Taeyeon’s voice on this is very powerful. It’s something that I would love to jam out to during a road trip.
- Galaxy – Okay, are we getting a slow jam to wrap up things? I’ve noticed that this record had guitars as one of the main instruments in all five tracks, and I love the soulful vibe that brought to each mix. “Galaxy” is just a chill song and a perfect way to close this sweet album. I love it.
First off, I am so happy to be back. I didn’t realize how much I missed doing music reviews. I sincerely enjoy discovering new songs/artists and having a good time. With that said, TAEYEON did such a fantastic job with this mini-album. She served quality vocals, + the production on all five tracks are excellent. I appreciate the subtle vintage-jazzy vibe for “What Do I Call You” & “Playlist”. I think those two, along with “To the moon”, are my favourites on this record.
Overall, TAEYEON’s 4th mini-album – What Do I Call You, gets a solid 10/10 from me.