Yesterday, TAEMIN returned with Act 2 of his 3rd album, Never Gonna Dance Again. This record has nine songs, including the title track – “IDEA”
Feel free to check out my review for Never Gonna Dance Again: Act 1 👉🏽 TAEMIN – Never Gonna Dance Again: Kpop Album Review. Now let’s get started.
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/MV:
- The visuals for this music video are pretty + I love the splash of very bright colours.
- The choreography is so slick and precise.
- I noticed that the first scene from the MV is a prison visiting session. Quite interesting because his previous title track was called “Criminal”
- WHAT??? I seriously was not expected such a hard chorus drop.
- Wow, the beat + the choreography during the chorus is insane. I love this vibe.
- Also, the dancers are amazing. I can’t only focus on TAEMIN because everyone is calling for my attention.
- This set, though. It is so bougie and captivating.
- Once again, they surprised me with the chorus. I was expecting the same drop, but TAEMIN took it to another level.
- The progression + the different sections on this song are interesting.
- Nah!! The choreography is crazy. Do you all see the glitching and smooth movements during the second chorus?
- TAEMIN’s vocals on the bridge are quite haunting but very beautiful.
- I am enjoying the visuals for “IDEA”. I love the white to black contrasting backgrounds that they are using. The cloud/thunder + fire backdrops added in the extra touch.
- Visual-wise, this music video gets a 10/10.
- Music-wise, I prefer “Criminal” over “IDEA”. This song is certainly not my favourite from TAEMIN, but I still enjoyed listening to it.
Here is a preview of the album –
- IDEA (理想) – The chorus always takes me off guard, but I love it all the same. All I need now is a dance video for this song.
- Heaven – The intro for this track is soothing. TAEMIN’s voice + the soft beat makes such a beautiful melody. I love how he sings the word – ‘heaven.’ Definitely wasn’t expecting the background choir, but I am here for this haunting vibe. “Heaven” is my first favourite on this album. I honestly adore TAEMIN’s versatility.
- Impressionable – Quite an intriguing entry with the synthesized keys. I’ve noticed that the haunting touch from Act 1 continued into this act. However, it is more prominent in this one. Overall, I am enjoying the vocal technique, backing vocals, + instruments used to relay this somewhat frightful feeling. “Impressionable” is my second favourite.
- Be Your Enemy (Feat. Wendy of Red Velvet) – The intros on all these songs are captivating. “Be Your Enemy” seems to have a less intricate instrumental than the previous tracks. Splendid continuous soft guitar strumming. I love the melody on this one + TAEMIN sounds so beautiful. Wendy also came in nicely, and their harmonies are sweet.
- Think Of You – Ooo, I love this song. I’m just a few seconds in, but the rhythm is calling to me. Yessss, this is another favourite for me + I love the voice of the female vocalist backing TAEMIN. “Think Of You” is a vibe, and I can’t help but dance throughout the entire song. I feel it was too short😞. No worries, though, I got my replay button.
- Exclusive (Korean Version) – I don’t think I have listened to this song before. I like how TAEMIN came in. The retro-pop sound slightly threw me off at first, but I love it. The instrumental and production for this track are incredible.
- Pansy – Am I getting a guitar accompanied ballad? Awww! His voice makes me feel light, like a feather floating in the sky. I seriously needed this track. I searched up the definition of “Pansy”, and it so sweet. It’s derived from the French word – pensée (meaning: thought) that became an alternative Late Middle English name for the garden plant – Viola in the mid-15th century. Pansy is a flower that signifies remembrance. I love this song.
- I Think It’s Love – Another soft song? I’m here for all this last-minute angsty/soothing energy + they used a piano as the front instrument for this track😍. TAEMIN is serving wholesome, blissful vocals. I love how softly the drumbeats came into the mix. Okay, this is starting to give me some R&B vibe, and I AM OFFICIALLY IN LOVE. Yes, TAEMIN, bless me!!!
- Identity – The last song, let’s see what it has to offer. We’re still on the angsty train, but this brought back the haunting vibe from the earlier tracks. THE VOCALS!!!! SING TAEMIN. What is this chorus??? I so was not expecting an electronic infusion for this song, but I am impressed. The progression/production, vocal and instrumental-wise, is lovely. “Identity” is the perfect closing track; I love it.
I genuinely enjoyed listening to all nine songs. Of course, I have my favourites, but every track was equally substantial. I love how we got upbeat/horror fleek-styled jams in the first half, and then the second half served beautiful/angsty slow songs. I also adore the production. It was top-notch, and TAEMIN sounded terrific all through. Hence why Never Gonna Dance Again: Act 2 gets a solid 10/10 from me.
What do you all think of this album, and what are your favourite tracks?