Honestly, procrastination has been my second name recently. I have been chilling without allocating time to work on this blog. Henceforth, I refuse to fall to that disease, so here I am. Let’s check out Eric Nam’s new album🎉🎉🎉. On July 30th, he came back with his fourth mini-album called The Other Side. It has five songs, including the title track – “Paradise”. I have been looking forward to this release!!!
If you need a profile for this artist, use this link 👉🏼 Eric Nam – BEFORE WE BEGIN: Album Review.
(Please note – This is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Official MV/Title Track:
- The intro melody is catchy, and Eric Nam’s voice is beautiful.
- Nice drumbeats. I love how they intensify as the song progresses.
- The chorus also has the same heavy drums but with an EDM feel. This instrumental is interesting.
- I guess “Paradise” is a virtual reality game?
- Hmm, I don’t see multiple Erics🤩😍🤩.
- He looks good in that flower suit. I honestly can’t believe this man is 32.
- Unfortunately, this video lacks English subs, so here is a link for the Romanized and English lyrics 👉🏼 Color Coded Lyrics: Eric Nam-Paradise.
- The music video’s visuals are not anything mind-blowing, but they are alright for the given concept.
- I don’t know why this song felt short to me. Let me listen to it again before giving my final thoughts.
- “Paradise” is great, but it took a few listens for it to actually kick in. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I was in a very hyper mood, but overall, it’s definitely a grower.
Album Review: Here is the full album –
- Trouble With You – Wow, this song started right away. No instrumental intro or anything, just Eric’s voice instantly, and I don’t mind. “Trouble With You” suits my current vibe more. It’s upbeat but still has a chill melody. The background vocals are incredible. Eric Nam sounds fantastic on this track. The breathy notes are so lovely to hear, and the tune for this line – “trouble with you…” is very catchy. Oh, I will be overplaying this because it’s way too short. How could he make it only 2 minutes and 33 seconds long? It’s always the best songs that artists decide to leave us wanting more on. This is my first favourite.
- Paradise – Since I am used to the tempo, it sounds great.
- How You Been – I love the intro for this one. It gives off a tranquil vibe, and since it’s late over here, I am all about this type of energy. Oh, I wasn’t expecting the tempo to change. Anyways, excellent progression and Eric Nam’s high notes are flawless. The instrumental build for this song is heavenly. This is another favourite of mine. Just like “Trouble With You”, this track is upbeat but chill. Although I feel “How You Been” is way smoother. Yet another song on this EP that it’s barely 3 minutes long. Why is Eric Nam giving me short bops?🤦🏼♀️
- Down For You – This sounds like a classic R&B summer bop, and I am already dancing. Okay, whoever makes Eric’s beats is very innovative. If he does it himself, then kudos👏. The tempo variations in this EP always caught me off guard, but that made each song exciting. I am living for the jazz influence on this track’s instrumental. It is bassy and really groovy. Right from the start, I was moving my body💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼. YESSS!!! Eric, please bless me with those smooth vocal runs. This song is a whole vibe.
- Love Die Young (Korean Version) – This is from his English album – Before We Begin, so there isn’t much to say because it was one of my faves on that record. I’m just going to enjoy my time here – “Please don’t let this love die young…If I’m going to love someone, then let it be you.” Lol, I am used to the English version.
Here is my ranking for this EP –
- Love Die Young (Korean Version)
- How You Been / Trouble With You (Don’t mind me, I couldn’t decide😊)
- Down For You
I absolutely enjoyed listening to this album. The production of every song is of high quality. Eric Nam sounds flawless as expected. His voice is the perfect R&B flavour that never fails to bless my ears. The only song that I can say fell a bit short for me at first is “Paradise”, which is why it’s that low in rank. Nevertheless, the entire body of work is solid. Therefore this fourth mini-album – The Other Side gets a 9.5/10 from me.