On July 22nd, SOMI released her second single titled “What You Waiting For”. The teaser images she dropped hinted at a more matured concept compared to her previous song, so let’s check it out.
Ennik Somi Douma, known by the stage name SOMI is a Canadian-Dutch-Korean singer active in South Korea. Her Korean name is Jeon So-mi. She participated in the audition program – Produce 101 and finished first. This led her to debut in the resulting girl group known as I.O.I. After the contract for I.O.I ended, all members went back to their respective groups and solo careers. SOMI made her debut as a solo act on June 13th, 2019, with the single “BIRTHDAY” and she is currently managed by The Black Label.
(Please note – This is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to this song.)
Reaction to Official MV:
- Already this gives off a more grown-up vibe than “BIRTHDAY” Don’t get me wrong, I love that song, but I like to see growth as well.
- SOMI looks stunning with blonde hair.
- I hope she starts putting out music consistently, and maybe we can get an EP soon.
- Thankfully, I have English captions, so let’s continue.
- The instrumental for this song is quite intriguing. I think I hear a xylophone?
- The set design and her outfits are stunning.
- The ocean scene reminded me so much of AKMU – “How can I love the heartbreak, you’re the one I love.”
- The build-up towards the chorus is excellent.
- This song is upbeat, but it still gives off a mellow vibe. I like the tempo variation.
- Is so cute how she said, “Ring the alarm.”
- I feel SOMI got to showcase her vocals better in this song, but there’s still some room for her to fill with future releases.
- “What You Waiting For” is a great song but not something I see myself listening to a lot.
- I might come to enjoy it more after a few replays, but for now, it gets a 9/10 from me.
- I will keep following SOMI’s career in hopes of her releasing something that completely blows me away.