On July 22nd, SOMI released her second single titled “What You Waiting For”. The teaser images she dropped hinted at a more matured concept compared to her previous song, so let’s check it out.
(Please note – This is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to this song.)
Reaction to Official MV:
- Already this gives off a more grown-up vibe than “BIRTHDAY” Don’t get me wrong, I love that song, but I like to see growth as well.
- SOMI looks stunning with blonde hair.
- I hope she starts putting out music consistently, and maybe we can get an EP soon.
- Thankfully, I have English captions, so let’s continue.
- The instrumental for this song is quite intriguing. I think I hear a xylophone?
- The set design and her outfits are stunning.
- The ocean scene reminded me so much of AKMU – “How can I love the heartbreak, you’re the one I love.”
- The build-up towards the chorus is excellent.
- This song is upbeat, but it still gives off a mellow vibe. I like the tempo variation.
- Is so cute how she said, “Ring the alarm.”
- I feel SOMI got to showcase her vocals better in this song, but there’s still some room for her to fill with future releases.
- “What You Waiting For” is a great song but not something I see myself listening to a lot.
- I might come to enjoy it more after a few replays, but for now, it gets a 9/10 from me.
- I will keep following SOMI’s career in hopes of her releasing something that completely blows me away.