On June 10th, N.Flying released their 7th mini-album titled So, 通 (COMMUNICATION). The album has six songs, including the title track “Oh really.”N.Flying, which is short for New Flying, is a South Korean rap rock band managed by FNC Entertainment. This band was formed in 2013, and they released their first Japanese single – Basket that same year. Later on May 20th of 2015, they officially debuted in Korea. Although the group currently consists of five members, there have been a few changes over the years. N.Flying initially started out with four members – Kwon Kwangjin, Kim Jaehyun, Cha Hun and Lee Seunghyub. The fifth member, Yoo Hweseung, was added in 2017. However, in 2018, Kwon Kwangjin left the band, so he had to replaced by Dongsung earlier this year.
The only song I have heard from this group is “Rooftop”, and since they aren’t like the regular rock bands I listen to, I never had the zeal to check them out. All the same, I am finally here. Now let’s see what they have to offer.
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exacts thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/Official MV:
- Thankfully I have English captions.
- I love the strumming guitar intro, and whoever is singing lead sounds fantastic.
- The boys all look great.
- I really love the first singer’s tone. He has a sweet lower register.
- The music video is cute, and the instrumental is beautiful.
- I love how the second singer came in with a softer tone and just melted me.
- The vocals and instruments get a checkmark from me.
- The set with the phone booth is lovely.
- I love the chorus as well. It’s quite catchy, and the fact that N.Flying is singing that section in unison makes me want to sing along.
- So they have three instrument players, and the other two are vocalists?
- I love the rap-singing style they used for the second verse.
- They also gave a nice flow when the actual rap came in.
- Maybe after listening to more songs from them, N.Flying will be added to my list of favourite Korean bands.
- I noticed that instrumental isn’t too heavy on this song, hence why the vocals really stand out for me.
- I gave all my attention to the music that I forgot to read the captions.😄
- I just rewatched it, and they are singing about relationship issues. Something along the lines of how hard it is to say goodbye and not wanting to let go. I think they also said something about their partner pretending not to care.
- Okay, I love this song. Now let’s move on to the album.
Album Review: Here is the album preview –
- Oh really. – I absolutely love this song, so I am going to enjoy my 3 minutes and 16 seconds here.
- FLOWER FANTASY – Wow, this starts right away, and I love the vocal intro. N.Flying’s vocalists are incredible, and the instrumental for this song is more in your face compared to the title track. The guitar riff for this is insane. Honestly, they came hard with the instrumentalization, and I am completely in love with “FLOWER FANTASY” It sounds like something I could hear during an emotional scene of an anime. The lower register of the lead vocalist gets me every time. He is too good, and my ears are getting blessed. Their drummer is also giving me life, but the guitar players are A++++++++ on this track. LIKE WHAT???… this is insane. It’s a soft song but still hits in the right places…a whole mood.
- YOUTH – I love how this song came in right away. I will say this has a similar vibe to the title track, but “YOUTH” has more rhythmic drumming. Once again, fantastic instrumentalization, vocals and beautiful runs. The melody for this song is lovely and really catchy. I like how they included some finger snaps to the instrumental, it adds a sweet spice to the mix. I don’t know why but the vocalization on this track sounds very indie to me. That’s the only way I can explain the style I’m hearing. One thing I love about bands is that they give the best of both worlds in concerns to vocals and instruments. A good rock band is always pure eargasm. It’s a good sign that I am enjoying every song.
- I’M GONNA – The beginning is giving me a slight touch of jazz. This also has some hip-hop influence. I am enjoying the beat and vibe of this track. The chorus is excellent. I definitely expected some rapping once this started, and I got good flows. I love the adlibs because they hit beautifully out of nowhere, and I am here for the energy from N.Flying on this track. What??… I was not expecting that high note at the end. It was too perfect. Alright, this is another excellent song on the album.
- Last Song – It looks like we have reached the slow track of this album. Oh damn, their voices give me chills, and I absolutely adore the blend between the two different vocal tones. The guitar riff on this is a blessing to hear. Rock ballads are supreme and deserve to be heard on every album. I want to say this is my favourite, but I have equally enjoyed every song so far. Oooh, I love how they sang in unison towards the end, while the main singer powered on top with insane vocal runs and high notes. The ending is so full and beautiful. THANK YOU, N.Flying.👏👏👏👏👏👏
- E-YO – The last song already😥. I love that every song on this album starts right away. I love the rhythm for this one, it is groovy. Okay, at this point, the vocalists are disrespectful. They just slapped me with some crazy falsetto notes. The drummer deserves a round of applause for his skills. The chorus is perfect, and I feel the need to sing along. This song would be amazing live, I can already picture it. The instrumental progression is terrific. I have nothing more to say because “E-YO” is a well-produced BOP. N.Flying has really impressed me with this album. I am happy that I gave them a chance.
This album was a beautiful mood all through. I genuinely enjoyed all six songs, and I cannot even pick a fave. I was utterly blown away by their vocalists, and the instrument players also brought their A-game to this record. I have nothing to criticize, and I am officially a fan. I will be looking forward to future projects from them because I am impressed. Great job, boys.
My rating for N.Flying’s 7th mini-album So, 通 (COMMUNICATION), is a solid 10/10.