DAY6 just released their 6th mini-album titled The Book of Us: The Demon. It has eight songs, including the title track “Zombie” DAY6 is a South Korean band managed by JYP Entertainment. The group currently has five members: Jae, Sungjin, Young K, Wonpil and Dowoon. In 2015, they debuted as a six-member band with the EP – The Day. Former member, Junhyeok left the group in 2016. All members of DAY6 are personally involved in the production of their songs. Basically, they write and compose their own music.
On May 10th, DAY6 announced their decision to suspend all team activities until further notice because some members are dealing with anxiety. So, unfortunately, The Book of Us: The Demon will not be getting any promotion, but I don’t care as far as the boys are healthy and safe. That’s all that truly matters to me as their fan. For more details, read this article 👉🏼 DAY6 Temporarily Suspends Team Activities To Focus On Mental Health.
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exacts thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/Official MV:
- Thankfully I have English subs.
- I don’t exactly know what to expect from this song since I tried my best to avoid the album sample and music teasers.
- Nice, we’re starting out with some heavy drums. I see you, Dowoon.
- Young K is taking the lead on this track, and he sounds great as always.
- My baby Jae, he always looks good blonde.😍😍😍
- Yess, Wonpil. Please bless my ears with your smooth vocals.
- The lyrics are very relatable. There are times when life suddenly becomes a tasteless hassle.
- One minute you’re happy, and then you gradually fall into a down period without realizing why for a very long time. Everything becomes a burden, and nothing seems exciting any longer.
- I have felt that pain and frustration, so I know it hits hard, but I can assure you from personal experience that the healing process is absolutely beautiful.
- So to anyone whose current emotions mirror that of this song, please remember that you’re doing great, and it’s okay to take things one step at a time. Try to take a step back and relax your mind.
- Everyone needs a break from rigorous routines. Your mental health and inner peace are way more important than anything else. Remember, “THIS TOO SHALL PASS.” I LOVE YOU ALL. ❣️❣️❣️
- I’m so happy they included the English lyrics quickly because it helped me connect more with this song.
- Now, let’s get back to the music.
- Woonpil’s first part brought in more melody into this song, and I love how Sungjin came in during that section.
- Sungjin seems to have fewer parts in this song.
- I am slowing getting into the vibe of “Zombie”, but let’s see how the chorus sounds.
- Jae’s voice, though.💕 His tone is versatile, and the way he plays around the notes always gets me.
- I love that this song is entirely different from their previous comeback, and they’re still killing it.
- The chorus is fantastic as I expected. Not super upbeat but still great.
- The instrumental is beautiful and well-produced.
- I love the graphics and visuals for the music video.
- The melody for the line – “Yeah, we live a life” is so catchy.
- The way Jae sang – “This meaningless life” gave me life.😊 I know this is a melancholic song, but that part made me melt.
- Yess, Sungjin is finally on the chorus. His voice always suits the climax of their songs.
- This second chorus seems a bit more intense than the first drop.
- I have to go back and confirm it.
- Yep, I was right. The first chorus didn’t include guitars until the instrumental solo, but this second drop came right in with a strong guitar riff.
- It’s official, I am into “Zombie”. It took me a while, but once I heard that “yeah we live a life” melody a few times and the chorus, I FELL IN LOVE.
- As always, DAY6 didn’t disappoint, and I am ready to fully accept this era’s sound and vibe.
- Yesss, Wonpil, come through with your soothing vocal.
- I love the bridge. WAIT A MINUTE… did I just hear a subtly modulation? Wow, I’m in love.
- I love how the drums dropped out after the modulation. Then Young K and Jae smoothly took us to the end with just a piano.
- That was a soothing and perfect way to close such a beautiful song.
- “Zombie” is definitely going on my playlist.
- Thank you, DAY6, for creating such a lovely and relatable song.
- Also, congratulations on charting Top 10 on Melon.👏👏👏
- Thank you to JYP Entertainment for putting the well being of boys first before any promotion.
- I pray they come back healthier and stronger.
Album Review: The Book of Us: Entropy is my favourite from them now, but let’s see if The Book of Us: The Demon can beat it. Here is the album sampler –
- Day and Night – I love the instrumental, most especially the drumbeat. DAY6 never fails to bring something new each time they release an album. Their voices make me melt because they all sound beautiful. “Day and Night” is groovy, but I know the lyrics will be deep. I will read the English translations for the B-sides once I’m done with this review. For now, I just want to take in the music. I love this song’s melody. Honestly, they are such good composers and songwriters. Wow, the vocals on this are giving me life. I wish I could sing along. Also, I want to attend a DAY6 concert so bad. Oooh, the tempo suddenly increased a bit for the bridge. The vocal runs in the background are perfect, and now we’re ending things on the regular rhythm. I LOVE THIS TRACK, I was swinging from side to side the entire time. This is such a solid start for the album. I need to listen to “Day and Night” again. I just noticed that Dowoon is singing during the call and response sections. Nice.
- Zombie – I am going to listen to this one for a while before moving on. Once again, can I just praise DAY6 for creating the most lovely and catchy melodies? 👏👏👏👏 The ending of this song gets me in my feels.
- Tick Tock – Nice shallow guitar entry. Plus, the beat drop on Young K’s vocal entry is perfect. Honestly, DAY6’s entire discography is a masterpiece, in my opinion. The Book of Us: The Demon definitely focuses more on deep lyrics and dark/mixed emotions, so I love this era. I could include the lyric videos at the end of this post for anyone interested. Wonpil’s voice makes me feel like I’m floating in the sky. His vocal runs on this track are light and peaceful. Yes, Sungjin come through with your raspy and powerful tone. I love how they sing – “tick-tock, tick-tock.” DAY6 stays, giving me bop to bop. “Tick Tock” has a jazzy vibe, and I am living for this slow groove.
- Love me or Leave me – Another song with a guitar entry, but this is more sharp compared to the last one. WOW!!! The way Wonpil came in gave me chills. I LOVE whatever that repetitive distorted voice is in the background. Okay, I am living for those deep rhythmic claps. WAIT A MINUTE… this song is very different, and I like it. The production on this track is insanely good. I love how they’re singing in unison. The harmonies are blessing ears. The synthesized instrumental for the pre-chorus section is so perfect. Dowoon, I hear you on those drums. He is too good, and he came through big time on this song. The chorus is a vibe. This is 🔥🔥🔥. I love the electronic sound. All songs so far have been incredible, but “Love me or Leave me” took things to a whole new level that I can’t even explain in words. The build-up before the chorus is too damn epic. “Baby, love me or leave me tonight.” 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
- STOP – Are we going hard rock on this one? I don’t mind. Oh, I see it now… we are in the upbeat section of the album. All I need now is to be in a car while blasting this song on the highest volume. I LOVE the rhythm, and the instrumental is fire. Plus, the chorus drop just transported me to another universe. Nice touch with one person starting a line and all the boys coming in at the end in unison. It’s so good to hear their harmonies. I also hear some beautiful background harmonization, which is giving me life. I’m just here dancing because “STOP” is a JAM, people!!! This song really fits Sungjin’s voice, and he didn’t come to play either. THIS IS MY FAVOURITE ON THE ALBUM, AND ALL THE SONGS BE GIVING ME MAJOR LIFE👏👏👏. I ain’t moving on to the next track just yet. This is going to be enjoyed fully.
- 1 to 10 – Intriguing start. It’s like with every comeback, Dowoon gets better because the drums are speaking to my soul. This is another upbeat track, and I already love the melody – “1 to 10, 1 to 10.” Coming from “STOP” almost made me miss the distinct features of this song because I was comparing both. So let’s restart “1 to 10”. Alright… The guitar players are clearly finessing their skills. Young K sounds so glorious on the chorus. The tune and pause they use when singing “nobody loves you… more than me baby.” really calls for the listener’s attention. I love how the intense instrumental dropped out for the bridge, and now we have this heavily synthesized sound and some falsetto singing. This is pure eargasm. Dowoon did such an excellent job on the ending drums. He definitely owns this song.
- Afraid – Okay, this is the slowest song on this album and also a nice close since the next track is an English version of “Zombie” The soft guitar start and drumline style beat is beautiful and very fitting. I love the “oooh, oooh, oooh” in the background. Young K is really killing the hooks on this album and Jae with that “I’m so afraid, I’m so afraid” is a whole mood. This track is relaxing but also intense on the chorus. I love the slight beat switch up during the bridge and how they slowed things down before returning to the regular tempo. “Afraid” is lovely.
- Zombie (English Version) – At least, I can push this version on my friends who are not into kpop, LOL. I also love this version as much as the Korean one.
The Book of Us: The Demon IS AN ALBUM.🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼 DAY6 created a masterpiece. They brought their A+++++ game for this comeback, and I enjoyed every minute spent listening to them slay my life with each song. I was super excited about this new album, so I am glad that it lived up to my expectations. I don’t know yet if this beats The Book of Us: Entropy for me. However, what I’m sure of is that this album is epic, PERIODTTTT. Therefore, my rating is a solid and wholesome 10/10.
Once again, I pray for the boys to feel better and return stronger. Now, I’m off to go read the English lyrics.
Lyric videos are in the same order as the album –