I find it odd that this is the only subunit of NCT that I don’t keep up with. Therefore today, I am going to give them a shot. Here’s to hoping that they impress me🥂🥂🥂. As of now, the only members I know are Jeno and Haechan.
NCT DREAM is a South Korean pop group that currently consists of six members – Renjun, Jeno, Haechan, Jaemin, Chenle and Jisung. They are a sub-unit of NCT managed by SM Entertainment. They initially debuted as seven members in 2016 with the digital single “Chewing Gum”. Mark from NCT U/NCT #127 was formerly in this unit, but he graduated??
Basically, NCT DREAM was meant to be the teenage unit with an average age of 15. Once a member turned 20, they would have the opportunity to join the older members, but during April of this year, the graduation system was scrapped. All members are now fixed. So even though Mark left, he still has the opportunity to come back and promote as a fixed member. I personally feel Mark should step back from this unit because the man is in almost every NCT unit and other joint projects. SM??? Give the boy a break.
Anyways, on April 29th, NCT DREAM released their 4th mini-album titled Reload. It has five songs including the title track “Ridin'”
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exacts thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/Official MV:
- Okay, we are starting out with some sirens.
- I love the toy car in the beginning. So cute.
- They all look good, but the guy with the blue hair, I believe his name is Jaemin. He is calling to me.
- You know, in Kpop, you don’t just casually choose a bias. The bias picks you.
- I’ve always had a thing for Jeno, but Jaemin… hmmm.😏
- Thankfully, I have English captions.
- The beat seems heavily synthesized, or is it just my ears? I love it, though.
- Yep, Jaemin needs to calm down and stay in his lane. I AM TRYING TO FOCUS ON THE MUSIC HERE.
- I love their sound. It still has that classic NCT vibe, but it’s more youthful.
- WAIT A MINUTE… Haechan. These boys are going to kill me.
- The way he came in smoothly with those vocals at the 0.50 seconds mark. He never fails to amaze me.
- As expected from any NCT unit, their vocalists are solid.
- I think his name is Renjun. He sounds so beautiful. Plus, the blonde hair is doing him justice.
- Honestly, Renjun has so many hair colours in this music video. I also saw white and pink???
- The chorus and choreography are slick. It makes me want to body roll and bust some moves even though I can’t dance to save my life.😂😂😂
- Anytime Jisung appears on my screen, I go aww!!! and then oooh!! he grown.👀
- The rap line is bringing the perfect level of groove to this song. Their flow is good.
- Jaemin is really coming for my neck, guys. I can’t help myself.🤩🤩🤩
- Okay… Chenle. His voice is soothing.
- I love to stan multi-talented kings.
- I am really impressed and happy that I gave them the chance to show me their skills.
- Jaemin with that “Let’s roll” is a whole vibe.
- I love how they slowed things down and then came back in with an accelerated bridge. SO GOOD.
- “Ridin'” is a BOP, Periodttttt.
- It has it all. From the vocals, raps, to the instrumental, even the choreography and set. Everything is perfectly produced.
- All the boys stood out to me, and I am ready to dive more into their discography.
- The set where they’re on the motorbikes reminds me of EXO’s “Tempo”, which is another bomb song from SM.
- I’m glad they got their first win with this song. I LOVE IT.
- Ridin’ – I’m just going to leave this song on repeat for a while before moving on. I am listening to the album on Spotify, and the track clip is killing me with all their close-up shots. They are all so beautiful. I can’t deal.
- Quiet Down – I love this electronic beat, and I have a strong feeling that this song is going to be🔥. WHAT WAS THAT?… “yea, ooh.” Haechan, please stop coming for my neck. I most certainly just experienced eargasm😂😂😂. Also, who has that deep background vocal in the beginning? These boys will be the death of me. SOMEBODY SEND HELP. I don’t think I can get through this track in one piece. BREATHE Chris… BREATHE. Okay, I’m good, let’s continue. “Quiet Down” is too groovy. I love their harmonies during the chorus section. All I need now is to plug my phone to a speaker to enjoy this song to the fullest. I just want to dance. The vocalists in this group are very disrespectful will all their falsetto and R&B vocal tone. Plus, the production on this is lit. “Quiet Down” is going on repeat for a while.
- 7 Days – Okay, this seems more bubbly and the right level of cutesy. I know I’ve mentioned this way too many times already but their voices, WOW. And I didn’t forget the rappers. Their tone and flow come together so well. I love that the beat still goes hard on this bubbly track. The melody for “7 Days” is lovely. Yet another awesome song from NCT DREAM. I appreciate the very different vibes from all the songs so far. I am also going to replay “7 Days” because I LOVE IT. The vocal runs on this song are excellent.
- Love Again – Alright, “Love Again” is more bouncy, and the bass on this makes me want to bob my head. I always enjoy a good call and response singing style. I’m also enjoying the little English/vocal improvisation throughout the verses. It looks like I will be adding the entire album to my playlist. The chorus reminds me of another song, but I can’t place it now. All the same, this is a dance anthem.💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼 WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE… what was that beat switch up after the chorus? “Keep, keep, keep it on the low” – I like whatever they did there. I am feeling the rappers more in the one. Their rhythm is giving me life. Quite Interesting… I just heard someone saying “low'” in a very shallow tone right before the bridge, and I love that effect. The production quality for this album is 100% solid.
- Puzzle Piece – This went by too fast. How can I be on the last song already? The guitar entry for “Puzzle Piece” reminds me of something else. Jaemin is beautiful, and Spotify isn’t helping by having only his scene for the track clip. This is clearly the soft song of the album and a nice way to end things. It’s very peaceful and perfect for my bedtime. Not my favourite on the album but an equally beautiful song where they don’t do much vocal runs or raps. I appreciate simplicity every now and then.
I can’t lie. I am officially a fan of NCT DREAM, and I will be keeping up with all their future activities. I had high hopes for them, and they exceeded my expectations. I am genuinely impressed with the standard of this album. Reload was like a sweet and beautiful gift. I feel uplifted, and I’m in a delightful mood now. I added all five songs to my playlist, and I followed them on Spotify to get regular updates. I am off to check out the English lyrics for the B-sides now.
My rating for NCT DREAM’s 4th mini – Reload is a solid 10/10.