On April 24th, KATIE (winner of K-pop Star 4) released a new single titled “ECHO”
Kim Seo Hyeon is known by the stage name Katie Kim or KATIE. She is a Korean-American singer born on December 10th, 1993. KATIE gained popularity after obtaining first place in the fourth season of K-pop Star. After the audition program, she joined YG Entertainment as a trainee, but in 2018 she left the label to sign with a new company called AXIS. This company was newly formed by former YG director SINXITY. She then debuted on May 22nd, 2019, with an EP titled LOG. “ECHO” is her latest single.
I remember being so in love with her voice during K-pop Star 4, and then she just disappeared. I love her 2018 single “Remember”, but after then she had little to no promotion. Hence I had no idea that she was still releasing singles or that she officially debuted with an EP. Thankfully I stumbled upon her YouTube channel, so I can now keep up with her. I’m going to check out her EP and other singles once I’m done reviewing “ECHO”
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to this song.)
Reaction to Official MV:
- I don’t have English captions.
- I see a spaceship. Okay.
- I haven’t seen the teaser, so I really don’t know what to expect.
- I think this is going to be a classic cross between R&B vocals and hip-hop beats.
- The beat is bouncy and quite groovy. I LIKE IT.
- I love KATIE’s deep vocal tone.
- This song is entirely in English, which explains the missing English subs.
- I love the graphics and visuals for the music video. They’re quite trippy but beautiful.
- The drums on this track are legends. They go hard.
- The overall production is incredible, but I’m still not feeling the song 100%.
- I’m going to start again from the beginning just to get a better feel of “ECHO”
- Something is still missing for me. I don’t know what exactly, but my ears are not entirely in love.
- Even though I’m not into this, I do love KATIE’s sound, and I’m absolutely living for the instrumental because the production is insane.
- I think “ECHO” is a track that I wouldn’t mind listening to casually, but I don’t see myself including it to a personal playlist.
- All the same, who knows?? Maybe after a few more listens, I might like it more.
- But now, my rating for this song is 7/10.
Here is a song from her that I always enjoy –
Update: I just listened to her EP – LOG, and I am so in love with all six songs. I should have reviewed it first before “ECHO”