Yesterday, Bii released his second single of the year titled “Shape”. I already reviewed his first 2020 single – “You”. If you haven’t read that post, use this link 👉🏼 Bii – You: Music Review. At that time, he only dropped a lyric video, so here’s the official music video for “You” – Bi Shu Jin, popularly known as Bii, is a Taiwanese singer-songwriter, and actor. Born on July 7th, 1989, to a Taiwanese father and Korean mother. His Korean name is Pil Seo Jin. Bii was born and raised in South Korea and only learned how to speak Mandarin after relocating to Dongguan, China, to stay with his father. He officially began his music career in 2010. I discovered Bii through the Taiwanese drama Love Around. The opening song for the series – “Come Back To Me” is actually the song that shot him to fame in 2013. After gaining much popularity, many of his self-composed songs have been featured in various Chinese and Taiwanese TV series. A few of these dramas include Someone Like You, Bromance, Prince of Wolf, Sweet Combat, Better Man, Princess Jie You, Love Cuisine, Memory Love, Before We Get Married, etc. Bii is also a member of the Unstoppable Trio which includes Ian Chen and Dino Lee. To read an even more detailed profile for Bii, use this link 👉🏼 Bii: Star Showcase
Before I move on, he recently created a YouTube channel. If you’re interested, use this link 👉🏼 Bii’s Official YouTube Channel
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to this song.)
Reaction to Official MV:
- This already feels like it’s going to be an emotional trip. Just the opening atmosphere tells me a lot.
- I love that it’s in black and white, which naturally makes anything even more aesthetic.
- Unfortunately, there are no English captions, but I will check for the translation later.
- Even the instrumental confirms my initial intuition that this will be emotional.
- Bii always composes the most beautiful tracks. I have never been disappointed by him.
- I love the piano and violin entry for this song. So soothing.
- So the guy in the music video wants to be an actor??? But he has to take up various jobs to save up money.
- And now all the interviews he’s going to are not paying him any attention.
- That’s life sometimes. Pursuing your dreams is a struggle, and most things don’t work out the way you’ve planned but keep fighting.💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼
- The instrumental is beautiful.
- I really wish I could understand what’s he’s singing.
- Awww the actor’s tears and Bii’s voice during that scene gave me goosebumps.
- The music video is excellent, and I love the message, but I have to listen to this song again.
- I feel like I wasn’t paying much attention to Bii’s voice because of the story.
- I sincerely admire Bii’s soft tone because of how comforting he sounds. Whenever I listen to him sing, I feel the need to close my eyes and just lie down.
- I want to enjoy this moment fully, but I have to share my thoughts with you all.
- I love how the instrumental gets a bit harsher for the chorus section. An excellent way of showcasing angst.
- There is this subtle synthesized beat that I keep hearing whenever he’s about to enter the chorus. It feels out of place but very fitting at the same time.
- The guitar goes off towards the end, and I am living for it.
- I noticed that the guitar riff was used as the entry into the bridge along with Bii’s high notes. That is some charming and well-done production.
- I love how we ended on the piano but softer in comparison to how we started.
- I like this song, but because it’s Bii, I keep comparing it to his previous releases and how I would rank “Shape” to my favourite songs from him.
- This one is definitely a grower, I appreciate it more now because I have it on replay while concluding this post.
- So for this review, I will keep all those older songs aside and rate “Shape” by Bii as a solid 10/10.