WINNER just released their 3rd full album – Remember, and I am ready!!!. The title track for this album is also called “Remember”
I already reviewed their pre-release track “Hold”, and I also included a profile for WINNER in that post. If you haven’t read that post, use this link 👉🏼 WINNER – Hold: Music Review
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/Official MV:
- I have a feeling that this is going to be a sentimental music video.
- Awww, the video started with them watching their logo intro for their debut album 2014 S/S.😭😭😭
- It’s been a beautiful journey since 2014 and WINNER has come so far.
- Even though the fans won’t be seeing four of them together for a while due to their compulsory military service, I’m sure that everyone will continue to show their support while eagerly waiting for their next comeback.
- I have been with them since they were Team A, so I ain’t going nowhere. WINNER Fighting!!!!
- We have Mino with his smooth rapping style to start off this song.
- Thankfully, I have English captions.
- Awww they’re watching clips from their debut era. This is going to make me cry.
- As always, WINNER is giving off a very classy vibe with the suits.
- All the past concerts and performances. It’s good to look back and appreciate the growth process. I love them so much.
- Seungyoon with blue hair is gorgeous.
- I love the soft piano instrumental they used. It’s really soothing.
- Seungyoon’s voice always gets me in my feels, but the way Jinwoo came in, plus that rhythm, switch up. I think his part is my favourite so far.
- Yesss… Jinwoo, show them that you’ve got vocals for days. I love that he’s more confident in his vocal abilities now.
- Jinwoo from Team A or early WINNER days will feel ecstatic looking at this current era’s Jinwoo. My baby is all grown up.
- Something about rappers singing never fails to get me in my feels. Mino’s vocal tone is lovely.
- “Remember” is giving me “Empty” era feels but in a more mature way. I’m sure that was done intentionally since they’re looking back to their beginnings.
- I love that “ah ah ah ah ah” that is being used as background vocals during some sections.
- I just saw a glimpse of Seunghoon’s single shot and boy is he looking fine.
- The beat during Seunghoon’s first solo section is a bit groovy.
- Seunghoon looks good with blonde hair.
- The background vocals and layering for this track are excellent.
- Awww they just showed a clip of their reactions when they won WIN: Who is Next? My heart.😭😭😭
- So many memories.
- Yess… Seungyoon, bless me with your amazing vocals.
- I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. I am getting emotional.
- I love the bond that WINNER has a group. The boys are like family to each other, and I feel so happy supporting them.
- “Remember” is a beautiful and nostalgic song. The lyrics are perfect, and it’s a lovely gift to their fans.
- I am so excited to check out the full album now.
- Fun fact: Before WINNER, I never listened to albums, I only looked for the title tracks or songs that caught my attention randomly on radio, in stores or restaurants. 2014 S/S was the first album I ever listened to from beginning to end, and I immediately fell in love with diving into full bodies of work instead of just going with the promoted tracks.
- I had to take a quick break just to recommend this song to my friend, and She loves it.
Here is the album sampler –
- Remember – I’m just going to take in this song a few more times before moving on. Let’s let it simmer.
- Dduk (JINU SOLO) – Jinwoo’s part in “Remember” truly impressed me; hence I am excited about his track. I love the soft keyboard start. He sounds amazing. His soft vocal tone has always been beautiful, but he’s really standing out in this comeback. Okay, things sped up a little bit, but it’s still a ballad. He’s vocal runs, and falsetto is impressive. I know he released his first single last year, but I’m going to need YG Entertainment to give him an album once he comes back. This song has me in my feels. Plus, if you’re my constant reader, you should know how I feel about R&B/ballads. “Dduk” is right up my alley. The voice layering during the second verse was such an excellent decision production-wise. It sounds like Seungyoon’s voice in the background. I love the song progression, there isn’t any dull moment.
- Hold – I already reviewed this one. The link is at the beginning of this post. I still enjoy this song just like the first time. “Hold” is a BOP x 10000000.💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
- Just dance – This is another upbeat one, and I love the clapping. “Come, baby, just shake it, like a mad man.” This is already a groove. Mino rapping style is so distinctive. Ooooh… Seungyoon did not come to play on this song. Those vocal runs… damn. The name for this song is very fitting. It makes you move💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼. I am living for the horns they included in the instrumental. Mino’s rap tends to be groovy and smooth, while Seunghoon’s rap is bouncy and sounds more like a soliloquy. “Tonight, tonight, tonight…dance, dance, dance”, so beautiful. I love how they slow things down towards the end and then bring back the groovy beat with some EDM entry for the finishing. SO WELL-PRODUCED. Seungyoon’s high notes are incredible.
- My bad – Nice start with the guitar, and then Mino comes in. He is serenading me with his voice. Then we have Jinwoo next, and he sounds perfect. I have listened to WINNER for long, so I can quickly tell who is singing each part. Seungyoon’s falsetto section is pure eargasm. Lord, these boys are trying to kill me, but I ain’t complaining. I love the soft beat drop for the chorus. “My bad” is a chill head-bobbing type of song. Seunghoon’s rap comes in at the right moment in every WINNER song. His style and energy showcase his zeal and passion for music. The chorus is catchy, and the vocal runs towards the end make it even better.
- Teaser – I almost thought Mino was saying, “bitch, I’m sorry… bitch, I’m high.” I had to check the lyrics quickly, and that’s not what he’s saying.😂😂😂 WAIT… WAIT A DAMN MINUTE, THIS IS 🔥🔥🔥. It has the classic R&B/Hip-hop sound, which I enjoy. I need to restart this song. I can see myself grooving to this in a car on some lit night because the beat goes hard. Also, the harmonization during the chorus is so beautiful. I love how they sing this part – “baby you, you, you, you…” Hmmm, this album is solid as expected from WINNER. “Teaser” is a body-rolling kind of song, and that’s precisely what I am doing now. All the boys brought their A+ game on this one, and the production is exceptional.
- Well – Okay, WINNER, I hear you loud and clear. They’re telling us to eat well, sleep well, rest, well, and stay well. The beat for Mino’s verse slightly reminds me of “IMMATURE” from their EP – EXIT: E. Maybe it’s because both songs have some rock elements. The build-up into the chorus with drums is epic. This another great song on the album and I am already dancing. Oooh, I love the little chant they did at the end of the chorus, so cute. The killing points of the songs for me are the drums and the background vocals on each verse. They slow things down for a while, and I’m sure they’re going to take us back to the heavy drums soon. Yess… I was right. I LOVE THIS SONG. Plus, the lyrics are heartfelt.
- Serenade (HOONY SOLO) – Yess, my baby, has a solo track. Is it just me, or does this remind anyone of a song by BIG BANG? I can’t place it right now, but I know what I’m talking about. I’ll stop forcing my brain to remember, let’s focus on Seunghoon. I love the soft piano intro, and then the instrumental grows stronger as the song progresses. His energy is fantastic. This one makes me want to jump. WAIT… I feel like I have heard this exact song somewhere before. Yess!!! I remember now, Seunghoon performed this song during the 2014 Melon Music Awards. No wonder it sounded familiar, my ears didn’t fail me. Also, the other song it reminds me of is G-DRAGON’s “Crooked”. LOL, I feel so relieved after figuring things out😂😂😂. I love the “singing, singing” part. This has always been a catchy song, and I am thrilled that he finally released it officially. I love the call and response technique. I also enjoy how synthesized the beat sounds. This another perfect dance track on this album.💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
- Empty (4 ver.) – This is going to get me emotional again. These last four songs are updated versions of their debut tracks. We are going back to 2014 S/S. “Empty” has always been my ultimate fave from WINNER. I’m not going to bother going into much details with the remaining songs. My favourite parts from “Empty” are the continuous finger clicks, the falsetto chorus and Seunghoon’s rap section. Yes, thank God, Seungyoon took over that falsetto run at the end because that is the climax of this song for me. It’s so smooth and soothing. This was the song that made WINNER monster rookies.
- Don’t flirt (4 ver.) – I loved watching their live performances of this song. It was the most adorable thing to see. I can hear that their voices have matured, and Jinwoo’s vocal technique is so much better now because he is the highlight of “Don’t Flirt” for me. Another part of this track I enjoy is when they go, “oh, oh, oh, don’t joke…oh, oh, oh, I’m not joking.” Plus, the counted claps or clicks during that section add a sweet flavour. I feel like they did something new to the beat, but it still sounds great. I also enjoy the ending of “Don’t Flirt” a lot. It’s catchy, and I usually sing along.
- Color ring (4 ver.) – This was such an underrated masterpiece when it first came out, so I hope it gets the attention it deserves this time around. The simple guitar instrumental is really calming. Seungyoon wrote “Color Ring”, and I love him extra for that. I just pictured the music video and damn, the nostalgia hit me hard with this one. The music video was perfect. They definitely added new elements to the instrumentals for these new versions, but they’re very subtle changes.
- Different (4 ver.) – This was another ultimate favourite of mine. Such a lovely song with great lyrics. My favourite part of this song is the chorus. I love singing along with them. The verse for “Different” is soft, and then the chorus comes in and uplifts you. The rap sections in this song are excellent. Seungyoon kills the bridge section every time, and I love it when he brings out that raw rocker tone. Mino’s little solo at the end is also captivating.
This review is coming out so late in the day because I was really exhausted earlier on. However, I feel energized now, thanks to WINNER. So I am going to go ahead and work on another post before going to bed.
No WINNER album has ever disappointed me and thankfully, Remember is not an exception. Personally, I felt for a long time that nothing new could touch 2014 S/S, but this album is up there with their debut release. Great job boys, I sincerely enjoyed every moment. 👏👏👏👏👏👏 Also, I came to Canada in 2013 and WINNER has accompanied me since then. A big thank you to these amazing human beings that have continuously comforted me with their music.
Jinwoo has reported for his military service, so we won’t be seeing him for a while. I wish him all the best. The boys mentioned in their V Live that the remaining three members are already working on their solo projects. So we will be getting music even though all four are not together at the moment.
My rating for WINNER’s 3rd full album – Remember is a solid 10/10.