I am super excited to check this one out because I know the power of Changmin’s voice, and from the teaser images, I am getting strong R&B vibes. So a sister is ready to be blessed and serenaded!!!! But before I continue, let me drop some of the teaser images here –
Shim Chang-min is a South Korean singer and actor popularly known either as MAX or Changmin. He is a member of the pop duo TVXQ, which is currently managed by SM Entertainment. At the age of fourteen, he was the youngest member to debut with the former DBSK that is now TVXQ. Changmin released his 1st mini-album titled Chocolate yesterday. This represents Changmin’s solo debut. It has six songs including the title track that is also named “Chocolate”
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title Track/Official MV:
- Wait…wait… I just started, and the song hit me immediately. I knew I was going to love this.
- I love the black and white visuals for the music video. Really classy.
- Damn, Changmin… vocals!!!. He started with a high note and then went low with “I ain’t scared of electricity.”
- WHAT???… I got chills, and I’m just ten seconds in.
- I love his low notes. My ears are being blessed for real.
- The beat is groovy. I am listening to this with headphones, so the bass is giving me life.
- I also love the vocal layering.
- WAIT…WAIT A DAMN MINUTE. Changmin got me shook😳😳😳.
- He is so beautiful. Dear Lord, take the wheel.
- “shock me, back to, back to, back to”… I love the instrumental progression during that section. It goes full EDM on us.
- Damn, his lower register is pure eargasm.
- Yesss.. .. Changmin hit me with that unimaginable high note.
- Honestly, I don’t have much to say because I’m just enjoying myself.😂😂😂
- I’m going to listen to it again and try to pay more attention. I want to see if I can point out any intriguing details.
- Okay, the first thing I can say is that Changmin’s vocal range and control is impeccable.
- Throughout this song, he switches from his regular voice to a lower tone and then throws in some high notes. The man is blessed with a fantastic set of pipes.
- I love his blonde hair. I am trying to listen to his song, but he keeps distracting me with his perfect visuals.😍😍😍
- After paying more attention to the lyrics, I can tell that this song is about romantic desires but in a very seductive manner.😏😏😏
- Alright, guys, all I have left to say is that I LOVE THIS SONG.
- Changmin has always been my bias in TVXQ, so I am pleased to see how far he has come as an artist.
- I am genuinely impressed.
- “Chocolate” is a legit BOP, and it’s going on my playlist.
- Chocolate – No matter how many times I hear it, the beginning of this song gives me chills. The vocals!!!… That’s all I have to say.
- High Heels – Nice, it actually starts with the sounds of heels. The beat is quite retro. Almost like something I would hear on an 80’s disco track. Ooooh… the instrumentalization of this song is too good. I love old school tunes, so this is getting me in my feels right now. The bass guitar is speaking to me. Changmin’s voice in this is softer. So he’s still talking about desires… okay. The vocal runs are so good. He is just flowing and giving me life. This is another song that I really love. “High Heels” is a smooth groove.
- Lie ft. CHUNG HA – I know I have praised him a lot, but his voice is beautiful. I love the way this starts out with some soft drumming and then Changmin just smoothing slides in. Oooh… the higher register just made me melt. It feels like he’s floating on each note. The chorus is lovely… oh my, I LOVE THIS. During the chorus, the beat becomes a bit more groovy and faster, but things go back to the slower pace from the next verse. So I guess that is CHUNG HA on the chorus, she sounds great. This is the R&B track that I was waiting for on this album. “Lie” is definitely my favourite so far.
- Piano – It’s interesting how the names for most songs go in sync with the first sound you hear. Like this one, the first thing you hear is someone strumming the same keys on a piano continuously. The drums on this are also perfect. It looks like we are back to him using his lower register a lot. WAIT… WAIT A DAMN MINUTE. He just came for my neck with that high note entry into the chorus. I love the call and response style he’s using. “Piano” is another BOP. This entire album is killing me. All four songs have been amazing. I love the car screeching sound they added to the instrumental. They used it as a build-up into the chorus section. This particular song is a different level of groovy that I can’t even express in words. I’m in awe. Changmin is nailing every note, and his vocal runs on this track are insane. I love it when he sings – “when you play on my piano… I go, go, go.” This is another favourite. Even the way it ends is too perfect, WOW.👏👏👏
- Me, Myself & I – This seems to be following the classic R&B instrumental progression, and the way Changmin’s voice is riding the beat makes it even better. From the little English lyrics I hear, I guess this song is about focusing on yourself and no longer giving energy to an ex. This one is so relaxing, and he is back to the similar smooth style vocalization that he used in “Lie”. I also love how he harmonized with himself during the chorus, very beautiful. This just makes me want to bop my head and snap my fingers, it’s very catchy. Oooh… wait, the beat just dropped out, and he went acoustic for a short while. I felt that moment, and the vocal layering made it even better. HIS VOICE…HIS DAMN VOICE, I CAN’T DEAL.
- No Tomorrow – This has some slight country element because of the guitar. “No Tomorrow” is a perfect way to end such a beautiful album. I love how the voice layering this time included him singing in falsetto. The build-up into the chorus is well done. It actually makes you anticipate how the drop is about to happen. Yess… I love songs that include clapping. This one is giving me major camp vibes. It’s just a beautiful jingle that everyone can sing along to. Happy, Happy!!!😆😆😆. He used that acoustic technique again. This track gives me a sense of peace.
I spent 20 mins and 20 seconds listening to this mini-album, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Chocolate is the gift that kept giving more and more blessings with each song. I sincerely didn’t want it to end because it was such an incredible experience. Thank you, Changmin, for this masterpiece.👏👏👏👏👏
My rating for Chocolate is a solid 10/10. The entire album has been added to my playlist.
What do you guys think of Changmin’s solo debut?