It’s been a long while since I reviewed an album on the actual day it dropped. I am so thrilled to have this opportunity again.
It’s the beginning of a new week, and I feel good. I hope you all are in good health while adhering to the rules of social distancing. Please stay safe at home, and if you’re bored, here is something new for you 👉🏼 (G)I-DLE just dropped their 3rd mini-album I Trust. It has five songs including the title track “Oh my god”
So let’s check it out together. (G)I-DLE is a South Korean multinational group managed by Cube Entertainment. There are six members – Miyeon (Korean), Minnie (Thai), Soojin (Korean), Soyeon (Korean), Yuqi (Chinese), and Shuhua (Taiwanese). They debuted on the 2nd of May, 2018 with the EP – I Am. The first song I heard from this group was their final Queendom stage track – “LION”, and I really enjoyed it. So I am excited to see what they do with this new mini-album.
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Title track/Official MV:
- From the teaser images I saw, this comeback seems to follow a dark concept.
- And oh, how I LOVE DARK CONCEPTS.
- Is that a church bell?…okay.
- The beginning vocals are quite mysterious.
- I love how the instrumental and vocals for the first seventeen seconds sound like something you would hear during a catholic mass.
- There is no actual beat until when they say – “Oh god.”
- I love the breathy high tone they used to sing the end of these lines, 👉🏼 “help me, help me as if I’m out of breath… I feel. Set me free, set me free as if I’m gonna melt… So sick.”
- This is fierce. I am enjoying the energy.
- Oooh, this beat is really doing a lot. It just switched up on me.
- Thankfully I have English Captions, but I can’t really pay attention to them because I am focused on the song itself.
- The visuals for the music video are stunning. The set looks expensive, and the girls are looking like goddesses.
- Yesss… this beat is definitely switching up a lot. This is the second time, but I ain’t complaining because it flows.
- You know what??… I am going to start this video from the beginning. I need to listen to everything I just heard again.
- The chorus is trippy, and I LOVE IT – “Oh my god, She took me to the sky.”
- The transitions between each scene are well done.
- I don’t know if I am using the right terms, but I feel like the chorus section is a mix between Electropop and trap.
- I genuinely love that breathy high tone they use at the end of each note when they start the verse sections.
- Yesss… Soyeon come in with the rap, and the beat switched again. It’s more bouncy compared to before.
- Okay, I think I figured out the difference. All these while we had both drums and a keyboard going hard in the instrumental.
- Previously the keyboard took the lead, meaning it was louder. But during the first half of Soyeon’s rap verse, the keyboard dropped out, and the drums became louder.
- That’s why it sounds bouncy. There is more bass.
- Oh, by the way, her flow is sick.👏👏
- Damn, what did heck did Soyeon do with her tongue at the end of her verse😂😂😂. Girl!!!… you better calm down.
- Every member is giving their best vocally. It’s just that for now, I can only recognize Soyeon and Minnie, so I can’t compliment everyone equally.
- However, I have my eyes on all six ladies.
- And now we’re back to that very stylish EDM style beat for the pre-chorus.
- I am living for the chorus.
- Damn, the visuals are so good.
- Okay, we are now back to the catholic mass sound with the chapel bells.
- It ends the same way we started. Nice.
- I am going to take my time and listen to this song again without trying to overanalyze everything.
- Let me just enjoy the music. This will determine if I genuinely like it.
- OKKUURRR!!! (G)I-DLE👏👏👏. They didn’t disappoint me.
- “Oh my god” is a very intriguing song, production-wise and vocally. It caught my attention, but I wasn’t too sure of it after my first listen.
- It’s definitely a grower because the more I hear it, the more I appreciate it.
- I have high hopes for the album but because this review is live and direct.
- 🗣🗣🗣Ladies and Gentlemen, It’s 12:35pm now. I have to take an intermission to take part in my final test for this semester.
- So by the time I start reviewing the album, I would have aced my test!!!. AMEN🙏🏼
I am back and ready to dive into this mini-album. Before that, can I just say that professors are bad? My prof knew that many students wouldn’t read for the test. Most students refer to the class slides last minute while answering the questions. So she took down all our online slides before opening the test for us. Hmmm… but I had my best friend, google and my textbook😂😂😂. 🎶I feel good…🎺… I knew that I would. So good, so good. I got you💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
Okay, enough of my stories.
- Oh my god – I am just going to groove with this song. This now marks my fourth time listening to it. I see wings on the album cover. Does that mean that the theme for this mini is ‘fallen angels’? They had a mass-like sound and chapel bells, so there are some biblical references, I guess.
- Luv U – Are they using tongue clicking sounds to start this one? Quite odd but intriguing. Oooh, the beat DIRTYYY!!!!. Wait a minute… let’s restart this. I think I might like this more than “Oh my god”. Like you know, when something instantly calls to you without any doubts. “Luv U” is speaking to me. I have a feeling that I Trust is the kind of album I will reach for when I want to get really LIT. This song goes hard, it’s a BOP people. There is a lot of rap/rap-singing sections. The regular singing verses are also okay. Okay, after listening to it, I’m still unsure of which song I like more – “Oh my god” OR “Luv U”🤔🤔🤔.
- Maybe – This is also building up to go hard as well. The beat sounds like the stomping moves they usually do in dance movies. The singing parts are way better in this one in comparison to “Luv U”. I love the falsetto notes, and I wish I could recognize who sang that part. The chorus for this song is purely EDM based. I’m not sure if I like it or not. I will have to listen to it again. “Maybe” is also a great track, but I’m not really clicking with it like the former two. Which is odd because they all have similar electronic sounds.
- LION – I have already listened to this song a million times, so there’s no need to write more. I also have a review for it on this blog. To access that post click here 👉🏼 November Comebacks/Debut – Jessi|VICTON|HINAPIA|(G)I-DLE|BVNDIT
- Oh my god – English Version – Now, let’s see what this version sounds like. So it’s basically the direct English translation of the Korean lyrics. I like it, but I still prefer the Korean one. Maybe my ears are already accustomed to the first one.
I Trust gave us only three new songs + an English version. “LION” has been around for a while, and it is my stable, so I’m not counting it. If I am to base my rating on just the new songs I heard, this mini-album will get a 7.5/10 from me. I would have preferred if they left out “LION” + “Oh my god – English version” because, as of now, I only see myself adding two new songs from (G)I-DLE to my playlist, and this doesn’t make me happy.
All the same, the girls did great, and I will be looking forward to their next release. I seriously need to take my time and learn more about all six members individually.
That is all for this post. Here is a preview of the album for anyone who has not listened to it yet –
What do you guys think of (G)I-DLE’s comeback??