This review is coming out quite late because I didn’t have enough time to check it out once it dropped, but I still want to share my thoughts on NCT 127’s latest album.NCT 127 is a sub-unit of the South Korean boy group known as NCT. They are managed by SM Entertainment. The acronym NCT stands for Neo Culture Technology, and the number 127 represents the longitudinal coordinate of Seoul. This unit debuted on July 7th, 2016, with the EP – NCT #127. The group started out with seven members – Taeyong, Taeil, Yuta, Jaehyun, Winwin, Mark, and Haechan. Later on, in the same year of their debut, Johnny and Doyoung were included in the unit. And in 2018, Jungwoo became the tenth member of NCT 127. Currently, there are only nine active members. Winwin is not an active member due to his participation in WayV, which is the Chinese sub-unit of NCT. On the 6th of this month, NCT 127 came back with their second album titled Neo Zone. The title track for this new release is called “Kick It”
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Official MV/Title Track:
- I am excited, and I can tell that this is about to be lit.
- I tried my best to stay away from the teasers and tweets because I want a full experience.
- Already… just four seconds in and the beat is calling to me.
- I hear some rock elements from this instrumental.
- The colour scheme for this music video is beautiful. The yellow, brown and black are popping off.
- Oh, yea, yellow and black is Bruce Lee’s colours. I watched a lot of his movies growing up.
- The choreography is going hard, they are killing this.
- No, for real is choreo is slick, I LOVE THIS.
- So it looks like they plan on flashing their abs at me throughout this music video, I ain’t complaining.😊😊😊
- NO, NO… hold up, WAIT A MINUTE. My man Johnny did not come to play with anyone in this era. He is fine.😍😍😍
- I see you, Johnny –
- I also love the traditional elements that were used for the outfits and set design.
- Yess Haechan come in with those smexy vocals.
- I love how the beat switched up for the RnB style vocal entry. Very nice production.
- Okay, NCT 127’s vocalists are killing it as usual, but Jonny and Yuta… damn, they both have all my attention.
- Also, can we just talk about the energy in this music video? So good.
- “new thangs, new thangs, new thangs,” I am vibing.
- Okay, guys, can you all tell NCT 127 to stop disrespecting me with visuals. I thought I was stuck on Johnny and Yuta, but Jaehyun just came out of nowhere and left a sister stunned😮😮😮 –
- I need a break, and I am not even halfway through the video. What did I sign up for???
- On that note, I am just going to leave the teaser images for Yuta here because why not. He looks so good with this hairstyle –
- There are a lot of high kicks and martial art moves for the choreography. It must be difficult.
- I always enjoy it when Mark and Taeyong bass the baton of flow during their rap sections.
- Somebody, please hold Johnny… I’m so done. All I wanted was a bop, not a visual slap in the face.😭😭😭
- The rhythm for this song is quite catchy. Most especially when they sing – “Baby we go wild… ehhh!!!, one-two seven squad… ehhh!!!, we ain’t never gonna stop. Even if we can’t see the end, just go.”
- I love how bubbly and intense the instrumental is. I see myself jamming out to this song a lot.
- Of course, we have a dance break that came in with Taeil’s powerful vocals.
- Alright, NCT 127. This is their sound, and they nailed it as usual.
- For me, “Kick It” is a BOP AND A HALF, but I know that there are people who might not really enjoy this sound because it requires a specific mood AND VIBES.
- All the same, I still enjoyed every second. Every member killed their part. I can see the amount of work the boys put into this comeback.
- I was slapped in the face with abs, vocals, excellent rap skills, amazing choreo, impressive visuals both from the members and the music video set.
- THEREFORE, I AM HERE FOR THIS SONG. It is, for sure, going on my playlist.
- I am even more pumped now to check out the full album.
Album Review: Neo Zone has a total of twelve tracks. They also released short video teasers for the B-sides. Here is the link to those videos on YouTube – NCT#127 Album Preview. This is my first time listening to a full album from NCT 127, so I am excited to hear what their B-sides sound like.
- Elevator (127F) – I find it so cute that this song actually starts with an elevator’s arrival sound – ding. I always enjoy some clapping in songs. So far, this is slower in comparison to their title track. I hear some jazzy elements, and I love it. Okay… the chorus is simply the best groovy instrumental-only session I have listened to in a long while. This song is a safe way to start the album, but I don’t think it is going to be part of my favourites once I listen to the other eleven tracks.
- Kick It – This here is my ultimate jam and I dying to see if any other track on this album can beat it. For now, I’m just going to vibe before moving on to the next song. 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
- Boom – The starting of this one is giving me major black church choir vibes. I think it is because of the instrumental and choral notes. It feels like they’re about to bust into – “for the Bible says…”. That aside, I love it when they sing” Everyday aye…Yeah, aye” in unison. The way their voices melt into each other during that pre-chorus section is pure eargasm. The vocals in this are outstanding, and that beat switch that happens for the chorus is fantastic. “Boom” is definitely a major vibe. The vocalists are going off on this track. Even the rappers are singing, hallelujah!!.
- Pandora’s Box – Remember, I mentioned that I haven’t seen any teaser for this comeback, which means I also didn’t watch the short videos they released for each song. I included the links for you guys, but I was going to check them out after completing this review. Now “Pandora’s Box” started playing, and the Spotify track clips just hit me with Johnny and Yuta’s face. I can’t… I just can’t😭🤩😭🤩😭😭. What did I do to deserve all this beauty being thrown at me? Okay, enough fangirling.. back to the song. The vocals in this are also perfect. I love it when they sing in unison, their harmonies are incredible. The instrumental on this is also really catchy and bouncy, so it makes me want to move. Oooh, that high note and falsetto towards the end is pure bliss. Unquestionably, this is another excellent track on the album, but I’m not sure if I see myself listening to it a lot.
- Day Dream – So this time the Spotify clip hit me with some Doyoung visuals… okay, alright… 😊😊😊, moving on. The beginning of this song sounds like I am being put into a trance. This might be my next favourite after “Kick It.” It seems distorted but still, quite soothing. This is such a weird vibe, but I LOVE IT. Plus, the vocals on this are also pure eargasm. I can’t tell who is singing each part, but the person belting out that falsetto note during the chorus has truly blessed me. Yesss, “Day Dream” is my song.
- Interlude: Neo Zone – This is simply an instrumental break into the second half of the album. So far, aside from “Kick It,” we’ve had slow tempo/groovy tracks. From this interlude progression, I feel that things are about to go up to the LITTY level, and I am so ready.
- MAD DOG – I knew it, we are back to the hip-hop vibes. From what I’m hearing, only Mark and Taeyong are on this track. I love the distorted trap instrumental. “MAD DOG” is a party song but still not something I see myself listening to a lot. Oh, Taeil and Doyoung are also on this. The bass and drums on this song go hard, so if you are a core trap fan, this one is for you.
- Sit Down! – Another trap vibe… okay. Maybe I might enjoy this one better. Yesss, Jaehyun come in with those hot vocals. This is is more groovy instead of just going hard, and I love it. Alright… I am here for this chorus – “ay you, ay you (Sit down!)… don’t tell me what to be (Sit down!)… don’t tell me where to be (Sit down!)…”. And then Johnny just comes in and kills things more with – “don’t get up, don’t stand up, please don’t put your hand up, and don’t make me tell you again, Sit down!”. Boys, boys, what are these lyrics???😂😂😂. I still love it, though. The harmonies on this are so good, and the chorus is very catchy.
- Love Me Now – This has a classic summer sound, but they have included some EDM elements to make it more interesting. I love the short vocal runs that were used to start the song. NCT 127, in fact, the whole of SM Entertainment has really talented vocalists. “Love Me Now” will make for a great car trip song. I can imagine a group of friends driving to their next vacation destination. I really wanted to go on a short vacation this summer, but with the way things are going, it won’t happen🤦♀️🤦♀️🤦♀️. I didn’t sign up for all this drama when entering 2020. Please stay safe, everyone.
- Love Song – The beginning of this song reminds me of “That’s What I like” by Bruno Mars. The drum patterns are quite similar, but this one is slower. So with “Love Song,” we are getting some well deserved smooth RnB from the Neo Zone album. I am kind of confused about this one. I am grooving to it, but at the same time, I am not 100% into it. Weird right? Hmmm… maybe I should give it a second listen to confirm my feelings. Okay, after replaying it a few times, I actually like it.
- White Night – Another RnB type of song. I love how the beat dropped for the chorus section. So smooth but still groovy. I know I have mentioned this a lot already, but they just continue to serve beautiful vocals. I love that I can really hear the piano in this track, it’s so calming. The vocal runs in this are pure bliss, and those soft background vocals are also a great addition.
- Not Alone – Oooh, I think this might be another favourite. I love how slow but body rolls worthy this song is. The instrumental is giving me slight 80s vibes, but that might just be me feeling nostalgic for an era I wasn’t born into. So please don’t take my word for a fact😂😂😂. The vocal runs at the end are so adorable. This is going on my playlist for sure.
- Dreams Come True – Finally, we have reached the last song on Neo Zone. This is a lovely closing song for the album. It fits the concept, but it isn’t doing much for me.
Neo Zone has a lot of great songs, which means many people could easily enjoy at least two or three tracks from this album.
However, I still feel that the album lacked that WOW factor. I was left feeling 50/50 on most tracks. Hence I don’t see myself playing this album very often. I could let it play in the background while working on something else, but not many of the songs will be going on my personal playlist. Do you all get what I mean? Currently, my ultimate favourites are – “Kick It” – “Day Dream” and “Not Alone.” I also really like “Boom” and “Love Song,” so altogether, only five songs are going on my playlist, which falls short to me since this album has twelve songs.
All the same, the boys did a really great job vocally and rap wise, so I will give them Kudos for all the work they put in to create this album👏👏👏👏👏. I will continue to support them. Also, I hope Mark and Taeyong get a break soon because those two are working too much. To close this post, my rating for Neo Zone by NCT #127 is 8/10.