Adoring is a 2019 Chinese film that features people of different ages in the company of their loyal pets as they give love, receive love, discover love and learn to love again. Vivienne is a veterinarian that also runs a pet shop. She looks after the well being of all the pets in the community, and even witnesses six heartwarming stories about the people and the pets they adore.
Expectations: I saw the trailer while scrolling through Instagram earlier today, and I quickly looked for a site to watch the full film. Honestly, I am not an animal lover, but there are a few times when I do find cats adorable. All the same, I am a sucker for love. Whether it be the love of animals or another person, I am here for all of it.😊😊
I absolutely enjoyed every minute of this film. It was beautiful and filled with love from beginning to end. The bond between the pets and their owners was incredible. Every actor did a fantastic job of bringing their character and relationship with their pets to life. I felt every emotion they expressed, I laughed with them, and cried, as in genuinely cried with them. Also, the acting from the animals was remarkable. I could tell that they were well trained. They even made me reconsider the idea of having a pet. How could such little beings have a vital impact on someone’s life? Adoring is definitely not the most epic film I have seen, but the heartwarming feeling it gave me is truly memorable.
To dive more into the story, let’s look into each pet and their owners,
(warning – spoilers ahead)
- Zhao Yue and Fang Xin with Seven – This couple was always lovey-dovey and funny. I loved their chemistry, and I live for William Chan in funny and charming roles. It was amusing whenever he begged Seven (the dog) to let him spend time alone with Fang Xin. Seven truly loved Fang Xin, and he always protected her, so I felt sad watching him in pain. The scene where Fang Xin asked, “who loves me the most?” broke my heart. Including the last moments between him and Zhao Yue, I was tear-bending throughout the entire scene😭😭😭😭. I couldn’t imagine the pain of losing a pet that has accompanied you for almost all your life. Yet I believe that their story shows the beauty of companionship. Seven will forever remain Fang Xin’s best friend.
- Chen Yue Yun and Jiang Nan with Zha –At first, I thought it was going to be the typical romance trope, but they focused more on the friendship aspect. I love how Nan encouraged Yue Yun. You know you’ve found a true one when they go out of their way to fulfill anything for you. Everyone needs a friend like Nan. Yue Yun also cared for Nan, but he was dealing with a lot. I am glad that he found the courage to continue school. The scene where Zha (the dog) was leading him to school was very emotional. Just seeing the love and support he got from everyone around him gave me major feels. Independence is a great accomplishment, but it’s also okay to lean on others once in a while.
- Cao Wende with Barton –This was another funny but heartwarming relationship. Right from the start, I knew that Barton was a brilliant dog. At first, when the dog catchers showed up, I died laughing from how serious they were about the mission. It felt like they were on some 007 spy case🤣🤣🤣. However, after knowing Barton’s story, my reaction took a more serious tone. I am happy that they all came together to help get Barton off the streets. Thankfully, the dog eaters did not get to him first. I like how the relationship between these two developed. Barton and Wende showed the importance of trust and learning to love again.
- Gao Ming and Gao Meng Meng with Angela/Hulu –This was another set that made me cry. Most notably, during their scene at the airport. The way she calls him “dummy daddy” was cute but also hilarious to me. At first, I thought Gao Ming was trying to get his wife and daughter to stay back with him, but later on, I realized that he was only trying to keep Hulu (the cat). To him, Hulu was the only person he had left, and that was also his primary connection to his daughter after the divorce. I am glad that he was able to resolve his relationship with Meng Meng, and he even got to keep Hulu. Everyone needs love and company.
- Li Xiang and Qu Fei Fei with Bell –I can understand why he didn’t want Fei Fei to know about Bell (the pig). She wasn’t exactly the most conventional pet. All the same, I was still kind of pissed at how Fei Fei reacted to the situation. At first, when Bell kept on misbehaving, I had two guesses. She was either seeking Li Xiang’s attention, or somehow she was trying to help Fei Fei, and I was partially right. I am so glad Bell came back home safely because if she actually got slaughtered, their relationship would have gown downhill. By the end of everything, Fei Fei came to appreciate Bell more. Honestly, the way she rushed to hug Bell shows that she might even love the pet more than Li Xiang😂😂😂.
- Luo Hua and An Ying with 726 –Throughout their scenes, all I could say was, “Aww, the kitten is so adorable.” I couldn’t resist the cuteness😍😍😍. Anyways, An Ying’s case shows that if someone is truly meant for you, no matter how abruptly they come into your lives, they will leave a significant impact. An Ying has mysophobia, so 726 (the kitten) was never in her plan. She simply liked Luo Hua, but because of him, she had to learn to share her space. Even though her first time taking care of 726 was frustrating, she opened up later on. So I guess in her case, she discovered a new kind of love.
Like I mentioned from the beginning, this was really a heartwarming film. Therefore my rating for Adoring is 10/10.
To understand my rating, click 👉🏼 Drama|Movie Rating Guide
If you are interested in watching this movie, use this link 👉🏼 Adoring with English Subtitles