Dynamic Duo, in collaboration with EXO’s CHEN, released a new digital single titled “You” on the 23rd of this month. I have been itching to check this out.
Before I begin, here is my regular short bio for both parties:
Dynamic Duo is a South Korean hip hop group formed by two rappers, Choiza and Gaeko. They were friends since childhood. Both were previously part of the hip hop trio CB MASS. After CB MASS disbanded in 2003, Choiza and Gaeko became Dynamic Duo. The duo rose to fame in 2004 with the release of their debut album, Taxi Driver. It became the best-selling hip hop album in South Korea. They are now signed to Amoeba Culture. A hip hop based record label established by the duo and their partner, Go Kyung-min.
Kim Jong-Dae, popularly known as Chen, is a South Korean singer and songwriter. He debuted in 2012 as part of the South Korean-Chinese boy band EXO. He is famous for being the main vocalist of the group and has also participated in a good number of soundtracks for South Korean dramas. In 2019 Chen made his official solo debut with the EP – April, and a Flower.
This is not the first time Dynamic Duo is working with Chen. In 2017, they collaborated for the track – “Nosedive”
(Note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to this song.)
Reaction to Official MV:
- Yes, you all know how I feel about songs that begin with a keyboard.
- Oh damn, there aren’t any English captions available.
- Chen’s voice is beautiful and relaxing.
- I love the perfectly timed finger-snapping that was included in the mix.
- The way the beat dropped before the rap is so good.
- I never used to enjoy rap music, but Korean hip hop has changed my opinion. The songs are always groovy and lit.
- This song is a BOP.
- Choiza and Gaeko are giving good vibes with their fantastic rhythm and flow.
- The instrumental has a lot of intriguing elements. I can hear something new in every section.
- I wish I knew the technical terms to explain better.
- Also, the background vocals are so good. Chen did an excellent job.
- The instrumental is smooth and entrancing. It makes you feel like you are riding through a time machine.
- The music video is also relaxing because of the chosen tone.
- After reading the English translations, this is what I got – the song is reminiscing about the good and bad times of a previous relationship. Then you get a realization of all the mistakes made. Now you are at that point where you can’t live without the other person.
- I love this song. Everyone played their part perfectly well, but I do not see myself listening to it all the time.
- So my rating for it is 9.5/10.