Taeyeon just released the repackaged version of her Purpose album, and I am excited to check out the three new songs. Since I have already given my reaction to the previous ten main tracks and two B-sides, I will not be discussing them on this post. If you still need to read my review for the original album, use these links 👉🏼 TAEYEON – PURPOSE: Album Review & TAEYEON – FOUR SEASONS: Music Review.
This repackaged album has fifteen songs. The new songs are – “Drawing Our Moments” – “My Tragedy” and the title track – “Dear Me”
(Please note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to each song.)
Reaction to Official MV for Dear Me:
- Yesss… I have English Captions available.
- I am always captured by an excellent guitar start, so I think I might really enjoy this one.
- I love the fall colour palette of the music video. It complements Taeyeon’s voice and also adds some sort of serene atmosphere for the listener.
- She is so beautiful.
- I love the encouraging message.
- Basically, she is telling us to fight through everything that comes our way, so that one day we can all say – “I made it, I love myself and I trust myself… I am well now.”
- The hope of saying such words should be what keeps the light burning in us to continue living.
- I am also at a point in life where all is not what I expected, but I try to focus on the good and not overthink. So I truly appreciate this message from Taeyeon.
- Did anyone notice that the lyric progression shows that it takes time to gain self-love and worth? Taeyeon starts by singing – I want to tell myself these words because I did not hear them before to finally concluding that now she has grown and can stand by herself to say such words freely.
- That is some excellent writing, and she sounds very soothing on this track as well.
- I love how the tone of the guitar switches up for each section of the song. It follows the emotion of the lyrics.
- When the lyrics are sad, the guitar sounds soft and solemn. Then when Taeyeon sings hopeful words, the guitar intensifies.
- Also, nice touch with the inclusion of classical instruments from the second verse.
- I just wish I could hear more of her background vocals towards the end.
- But I know it was an artistic choice to reduce the volume, so that is not a big issue.
- Since I am not reacting to the full album again. I will rate the songs individually.
- Overall, I enjoyed listening to this song. What really got my attention was the message. “Dear Me” is a letter to anyone feeling down and tired of life.
- Also, with all Taeyeon has been through, this is a powerful declaration👏👏👏.
- As for the music on its own, it is a well-produced and impressive track.
- But personally, “Dear Me” falls into my great songs category. It does not make it to the mind-blowing top tracks section.
- Therefore my rating for it is 9/10.
My Tragedy –
- This has a weird start, but okay.
- Taeyeon sound more powerful in this track.
- The consistent note on the keyboard makes me have high hopes for the drop.
- I love how they layered her vocals for this song. It has a beautiful effect on the ears.
- The drop is not what I expected. It is way slower, but I love the bass and drums that came in.
- She sounds flawless, as always.
- I was not expecting that switch-up for the bridge, but her perfect voice and the high note made up for it.
- That synthesized keyboard sound from the beginning is back again.
- Ooh, they added an intriguing effect on her voice. It seems like she is breaking off due to a bad connection.
- I am going to listen to “My Tragedy” one more time before giving my rating.
- Okay…. this song is not doing much for me. Maybe if I read the English translations later, I might have a different opinion. But I still do not think I will listen to it often.
- So my rating for “My Tragedy” is 7/10.
Drawing Our Moments –
- Hopefully, I like this one more.
- I love how it starts out. Really relaxing.
- It is always a pleasure to hear singers use the call and response technique.
- The little humming she does is lovely.
- Okay, I am definitely enjoying this track more.
- It is soft and very soothing.
- Nothing much is going on with the instrumental for now, so all focus is on Taeyeon’s beautiful voice.
- I love this, and I am not even halfway in.
- The way the new beat came in was so perfect. Not anything too intense, but I can definitely hear some new elements in the instrumental now.
- Awesome production.
- I love all the little vocal runs, and her voice has also been layered in this track.
- Oooo, I was not expecting a modulation, but it fits.
- Each section of this song flows perfectly well into the next. It is too good.
- Yesss, I think I just found THE SONG for me. I am here for this style and composition.
- Taeyeon is blessing me with her pitch-perfect high notes and background vocals.
- My rating for “Drawing Our Moments” is a solid 10/10.
I have already added “Dear Me” and “Drawing Our Moments” to my personal playlist. Unfortunately, “My Tragedy” is not my cup of tea.
All the same, these three songs were excellent additions and stayed with the theme of the original album. So I might go check out what new goodies come in the actual physical copy of the repackaged album.
That is all for this post, take care. 💕💕💕