I was talking to my cousin recently, and she asked why I have not featured BTS on my blog yet. My answer was that I do not keep up with their activities. I simply listen to a few songs that get my attention. Plus, when I started doing more music reviews on this blog, I focused mainly on present comebacks. After our little talk, I promised her that once they release a new song, I will check it out. Finally, today is the d-day. My school has resumed, so I hardly have enough time to write. But I am a bit free now, so let us get right into this –
This solo track from Suga is a teaser for their upcoming album titled Map of the Soul: 7, set to be released on February 21st. Here is a comeback map for anyone who wants to stay up to date –(Note – this is a real-time review, meaning I am typing down my exact thoughts while listening to this song.)
Reaction to Official MV:
- I love the instrumental.
- The way Suga starts this song is quite intriguing – “I wanna be a rap star, I wanna be the top, I wanna be a rockstar, I want it all mine, I wanna be rich, I wanna be the king, I wanna go win, I wanna be…”
- I feel like this is about to be some personal reflective track.
- Of course, his rapping skill is on point, so I am just going to focus more on the message and music composition.
- Okay, I was definitely not expecting the singing part. I thought this was going to be a full rap track.
- I am impressed and pleasantly surprised because I love musical compositions that are not too predictable.
- “Please don’t let me shine, Don’t let me down, Don’t let me fly, Now I’m afraid.” This is such a deep line.
- Honestly, being famous is not all blink, there are numerous negatives. Celebrities are deprived of almost all their rights to privacy. They are also constantly scrutinized for every little mistake they make.
- Hence even though, they would love their music to gain more recognition, I feel that there is still this fear in knowing that they might have to give up more of their freedom and individuality.
- At some point, I am sure they contemplate if the fame is even worth all the stress.
- This song has a beautiful message.
- I now have big expectations for the upcoming album.
- The production on this track is remarkable. I love the way things got quite dark towards the end, and you can sense it from the instrumental.
- Wait a minute… the entire beat just switched up on me. Starting from the 2:19 minute mark of the music video, I was kind of thrown off a bit. I do not know if I appreciate that section.
- Okay, it sounds better with time. It gives me a very cypher like vibe.
- Now I want this particular section to have an entire song of its own. Lol
- Damn all those photo clicks. That is the celeb life. You will always have cameras pushed on your face. Sad. I also noticed a few other visual representations, but due to time, I cannot point out all.
- Anyways, I truly enjoyed listening to “Shadow” by Suga. I absolutely love the music and message, so my rating for it is 10/10.
- I will be keeping an eye out for the album.