So I finally decided to bring back my weekly music specials.
The chosen song for this week is Stars and Moon by Ivy Shao. The music and lyrics for this song were written by Victor Lau, and the singer is the Taiwanese actress Ivy Shao. “Stars and Moon” is an official soundtrack for the Chinese drama Sweet Combat. The show stars Lu Han (former EXO member) and Guan Xiaotong as leads (fun fact: the lead actors are actually a real couple).
From the very first time I heard this song being played in the drama, I was intrigued. “Stars and Moon” is a very emotional song. It speaks about hope and the zeal to never retreat. This was the emotion I got from the song even before searching up the English lyrics. Here is the English translation:
- The star is scared that once she blinks, the moon will disappear and be gone
- The moon holds her hand and promises to stay by her side
- The star and the moon agree to always accompany each other
- Illuminating the world together
- Until the day that the moon suddenly goes back on his promise
- The star hangs on the horizon. The moon is no longer there
- She does not wish to cry and chooses not to fall
- The star no longer yearns. She decides to illuminate the world alone
- Shining in the night without the moon
- On dark nights without you (I’ll keep on shining)
My favourite part of this song is definitely the chorus. I just love the message that no matter what you go through, you have to believe in yourself and keep on moving. Ivy always impresses when she sings. She might not have the most powerful voice, but she sure knows how to spark emotions from her audience.
I look forward to hearing more songs from her because she is astounding both as an actress and a singer.
That is my short write-up for this song. Till my next post, take care